Tuesday, September 20, 2011

My favorite time of the year

Sunday could not have been more perfect.   My family and I went on our annual apple picking trip in Warwick, NY..  We live close to many of the orchards, but still,  enjoy it like it's a trip to a far away place.  After we picked our Macintosh and some Red Delicious varieties, we visited the Farmer's Market.  There we chose our fresh root vegetables in anticipation of our traditional after apple picking dinner.  We make stuffed pork roast, gravy, roasted root vegetables, (all in the autumn colors) salad and homemade apple pie.  It is important to keep up with traditions, even if they are all your own.  My daughter is very interested in this, and she's always the one to remind us what tradition is coming next.  We are a very close family and it is important to me that my children have lots of happy memories to look back on and lots of ideas for traditions they may want to start or keep with their own families.  I once read that if you do something more than once with a child, they will tell others " We always do this"  We've added many new traditions to our family over the years.   If you follow the "do something at least twice" rule and you will create a tradition. 

With all our apples, we make applesauce, apple crisp, and apple dumplings and pie.

1 comment:

  1. I could not agree more. I have worked hard to create traditions that my children would always incorporate into their own lives. With one family living in Ohio, another in Pennsylvania and yet another in NYC I find that I have to work very hard to continue these traditions. We get together on holidays and my children and grandchildren know that I would be very disappointed in anyone chose to "bail out." They, too, like each other and all get along very well. I find it gives me a great deal of pleasure to just "sit back" and watch the young people interact with one another and know that I was the one who "choreographed" it all. One tradition that everyone looks forward to is the birthday "sing" that I do on each one's birthday. They never know how I am going to improvise that old song "Happy Birthday to You" and they look forward to Gramma giving them a new rendition every year. Sometimes I do an Ella Fitzgerald rendition, other times I do Luciano Pavoratti rendition. They look forward to this each year. Talk soon about more traditions. Dr. Ries

    ReplyDelete