Thursday, September 22, 2011

Unexpected Moments

With the hustle and bustle of a busy morning today, I tried to mentally collect the events of the day thus far, contemplate what's on the agenda for the rest of the day, and find my place all while driving here.  I decided to change the radio station, since the one that was on plays the same 4 songs over and over.  So it seems. Anyway, I began hearing the first few bars of an old favorite song.  Many of you may not have ever heard of it, but it's called "Head Over Heels" by an 80's band Tears for Fears.  I began the concert in my car as I call it where I belt out the words like a superstar, all the while hoping no one hears me at a traffic stop.  All of a sudden, I was overcome with emotion.  The song brought me to tears!! (no pun intended)  I was brought back to a place in time when my oldest son was a baby.  That time was the most incredible time in my life, as being a mother at the tender age of 22 was what I wanted most.  He smelled beautiful, his smile was breathtaking and his eyes were always fixed on mine.  His eyes always sparkled like stars in a night sky.  He was and is the love of my life,(as are my husband and two other children)  What a beautiful visit to a place I haven't been to in a very long time.  Life gets so hectic sometimes, we rarely get moments to reflect on and if it wasn't for the song bringing me back, I may have spent my day looking forward instead of back.  Today my son is 26 years old, living in Manhattan.  We do not get to see one another as much as we would like.  After class, I am going to call him and tell him how much I love and miss him.

3 comments:

  1. As an avid fan of 80s music, I also really like that song! I think that your memory that you tied back to that song is absolutely beautiful! I'm so excited to be a mother someday. I know that I have songs already that bring tears to my eyes! My mom and I love the song "You and Me Against The World" by Helen Reddy, give it a listen one day, I guarantee you'll cry too, just because its such a beautiful song! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lorraine, Thanks for sharing that thought and memory with me. I hope that you did call you son in the afternoon. Those are beautiful thoughts and I am so glad that you had the opportunity to use that music in order to reflect on beautiful memories. There is nothing quite like your first child............everything is so new. I remember those days so very well. I walked miles and miles and miles pushing my daughter in her carriage. She and I were buddies at that time and continue to be buddies to this day. I sometimes wonder how she ever survived my "new mom ineptitude." I was learning every day. My son had a better time......I was more experienced and much better organized. Little ones, wonderful memories. Dr. Ries .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try to add some gadgets to your blog. Dr. Ries

    ReplyDelete